书城外语流行文化篇(老外最想和你聊的101个英语话题)
5248400000078

第78章 Marriage and Family 家庭两性(10)

近四分之三的人称自己的办公室恋情不用保密,而7%的人则因此而离职。

Office hours sometimes get very hectic, and if they are still able to adjust to it with our partners, that shows they are best for each other上班时间有时会十分忙碌,如果我们能够与恋人共同适应这种状况,就说明两人是最适合彼此的。

In a country in which young people used to outsource the business of finding a spouse to their parents, workers in India’s growing outsourcing sector often look for partners themselves among their nearest colleagues,在印度,过去年轻人的婚姻往往由父母包办,但在不断发展的外包行业,职员们经常在最接近的同事中寻找自己的伴侣。

Far from discouraging such relationships, their employers are happy to play matchmaker in India。

在印度,对于办公室恋情,公司方面非但不加以阻止,还乐于撮合。

Office romance is pretty common these days as the office is where we spend much of our time。

由于我们大部分时间都是在办公室里度过的,所以办公室恋情在目前是相当普遍的。

Handled well, it can lead to a successful relationship。 Handled badly, it can end up ruining your career。

如果处理得好,它会成为一段成功的感情。如果处理不善,它会以毁掉你的事业而告终。

It is not surprising that romance springs up at the office。

在办公室出现恋情并不奇怪。

Young professionals often spend more time at the office than at home。 Consequently, there are a lot of single men and women who don’t have the time to meet new people。

年轻职员在办公室度过的时间往往比在家的时间要多。因此,有一大批单身男女没有时间去结识新人。

Naturally, they seek their potential partners within their surrounding environment-the office。

自然而然地,他们会在自己周围的环境中——办公室,来寻找潜在的伴侣。

It is a non-threatening environment where they have an opportunity to meet individuals of similar backgrounds and interests, and learn more about them than just what they look like。

那是一个随和的环境,他们在这里有机会结识拥有相似背景和兴趣的人,而且对于他/她的了解也不只限于相貌,而是更多。

Relationships with co-workers can be especially tempting because hard work doesn’t leave much time for socializing。

同事之间尤其会激发出感情,因为繁重的工作使得社交时间变得很少。

Yet romantic involvement between employees is loaded with dangers。 The big question is: is it OK?

然而,员工之间的爱恋充满了危险。最大的问题就是:那行得通吗?

DON’t be afraid to take your relationship into the real world, because eating together in the break room doesn’t count as a date。

别害怕在真实生活中发展你们的关系,因为在休息室一起吃饭是不能看作一次约会的。

DO get to know each other before you doodle his last name all over your desk planner。

你在整个工作计划手册上乱写他的名字之前,要努力去了解彼此。

Let’s Talk!

开始交流吧!

Lucy: What’s the problem, Nancy? You look down in the dumps。

露西:南希, 怎么啦?你看上去闷闷不乐的样子。

Nancy: I don’t know。 My life is a big mess, everything is so complicated。

南希:我也不知道,我的生活一团糟,事情杂得很。

Lucy: Come on, nothing can be that bad。

露西:没什么大不了的。

Nancy: But you promise me, you will keep it a secret。

南希:但是你得保证,你会保守秘密的。

Lucy: Ok, I promise。 So what’s troubling you so much?

露西:好的。那到底是什么事情让你这么烦心呢?

Nancy: I’ve fallen in love with my boss。

南希:我喜欢上了我们老板。

Lucy: Really? Is he married?

露西:是吗?那他结婚了吗?

Nancy: No, of course not。 He is still single。

南希:当然没有。他还是单身。

Lucy: So what’s your problem?

露西:那你愁什么呢?

Nancy: I try to keep it to myself。 But there is a lot of gossip about us。

南希:我本想埋在心底,但是公司里传得沸沸扬扬的。

Lucy: Oh, I see。 Office romance tends to be the subject of gossip。

露西:哦,我明白了,办公室恋情总会引起闲言碎语的。

Nancy: Worse still, he is trying to avoid me these days。

南希:更糟的是,他这两天也在极力回避我。

Lucy: Office romance is often tricky。

露西:办公室恋情总是很难处理的。

Nancy: It gives me a lot of pressure and I feel depressed。

南希:我感到很有压力,心情很郁闷。

Lucy: Don’t be that, N, cheer up。 You will be fine。

露西:别这样,开心点,N,一切都会过去的。

Blind Date

相亲

相亲是人类情感中,最复杂、最难表达和解释的一种。因为每个人的性格不同,也因为它的隐秘和复杂,相亲给这种复杂的情感之间找开了一个通道。相亲的目的性强,导致相亲的第一眼多半会失败。一个人的才华在很短的时间内是不可能完全展现的,因此多一点时间与对方相处,是给他人一个机会,也是给自己一次机会。在时间的无涯的荒野里,没有早一步,也没有晚一步,刚巧赶上了的爱情少之又少。

What is a Blind Date?

什么是相亲?

1相亲放轻松

Very few singles have ever gone through life without having a friend, relative or coworker try to set them up on a blind date。 While a blind date is sometimes referred to as a “first impression” date, people shouldn’t associate so much pressure with a blind date。 While it is always a good idea to look nice on any first date including a blind date, it is far more important for people to be themselves。 If a person is seriously looking for a person to have a relationship with, they are not going to want to attract a person for pretend behavior and unnatural looks。

Committing to a blind date doesn’t have to be a frightening thing and avoiding blind dates altogether could mean a person could be missing out on meeting someone very special。 Since someone a person knows sets up most blind dates, they are more likely to be able to connect two people with similar interests and ideas。 While physical chemistry is impossible to predict, a blind date set up by someone who has some knowledge about what two people have in common is a great starting point。

Once a person has committed to a blind date, they will want to limit the information they know ahead of time about the individual they will be going on a date with。 The less a person knows about their blind date, the fewer preconceived expectations he or she can develop about the other person。 Make the blind date a short date by having drinks or meeting for ice cream。 If the blind date isn’t destined to work out, the two people involved don’t have to sit through a long, drawn out dinner or other extended activity in order to get to the end of the date without being rude。

Dress nicely for a blind date, but don’t dress uncomfortably as it will be apparent to those around you including your date。 While making a first impression can put a lot of pressure on a person, being yourself during a blind date is more important in getting to know each other。 A person’s sense of humor can be quite individual and not everyone will understand or “get it” right away, so refraining from too many jokes during the first blind date can be beneficial。 The most important thing to remember in trying to make a blind date a success no matter what is to keep an open mind throughout the entire experience。

2关于相亲的表达方式

blind date相亲

A blind date is a date where the people involved have not met each other previously。 The match could have been arranged by mutual friends, relatives or by a dating system。

nearsighted date近视相亲

As opposed to a blind date, where you have no idea what the other person looks like, a nearsighted date is one where you’ve seen a photo or chatted via web before meeting in person。

Matrimonial agency婚介所