She's a girl who has a chip on her shoulder.
她是个容易生气的女孩。
②have had your chips注定要失败
I still will say that when you decide to do it you have had your chips.
我仍然要说的是在你决定做这件事时你就注定要失败了。
③when the chips are down在危急关头,在关键时刻
I can do nothing when the chips are down.
在关键时刻我什么也做不了。
Daily Conversation日常会话
Tom:I can't put up with my girlfriend for a long time.
汤姆:我已经容忍不了我女朋友很久了。
John:What happened
约翰:怎么啦?
Tom:
I've never seen a girl who has had a chip on her shoulder like her.
汤姆:我从来没见过像她那样敏感的女孩。
John:That also proves she loves you.
约翰:那也证明她爱你啊。
Tom:Maybe you're right. I'll think it over.
汤姆:也许你说得对。我要好好考虑一下。
Notes:
1. put up with容忍,忍受
2. think over仔细考虑,再三考虑,重新考虑
clean洁净的,干净的
Useful Phrases实用短语
①make a clean breast of sth.彻底明白,如实供认,把……和盘托出
Finally, he made a clean breast of his gulity.
最后他供认了自己的罪行。
②a clean sheet无过错记录,清白的历史
Nobody acts with a complete clean sheet.
没有任何人行事一点也不失误。
③clean up one's act改邪归正,从新做人
He cleaned up his behaviour and cut out drugs.
他已改邪归正戒掉了毒品。
cut out戒掉
Daily Conversation日常会话
A:I heard Tom was free last week.
我听说汤姆上周被释放了。
B:I know. And he told me he would clean up his act.
我知道。他告诉我他要改邪归正了。
A:I can't remember how many times he has said that.
我都记不清他已经说了多少次了。
B:This time I trust is true
我相信这次是真的。
clear清晰易懂的,清楚明白的
Useful Phrases实用短语
①clear away清理,清除
He cleared away all the rubbish and then went to prepare for lunch.
他把垃圾清理了一下就去准备午饭了。
②clear the air改善困境,缓解紧张气氛,改善气氛
He tried to clear the air between them.
他试图去改变一下他们之间的气氛。
③clear off离开,逃离,逃跑
He cleared off when he heard his mom’s voice.
他听到妈妈的声音就逃跑了。
Daily Conversation日常会话
A:The new couple quarraled just now.
那对新婚夫妇刚刚吵了一架。
B:Usually, at this monent they need someone to clear the air between them.
往往在这时需要有人去缓解一下他们之间的气氛。
A:Yes, you're right. Let's go.
是的,你说的对,我们去。
Notes:
quarrel v.n. 吵架,争吵
cold冷的,冷淡的,冷漠的 伤风,感冒
Useful Phrases实用短语
①give sb. a cold shoulder冷淡地对待某人
When we came to her house, she gave us a cold shoulder.
当我们去她家时,她对我们很冷淡。
②get/have cold feet临阵胆怯,畏缩
Mary was going to ask him but she got a cold feet and said nothing.
玛丽本来是想向他提出邀请的,但是她事到临头却胆怯得什么也没说。
③pour cold water on sth.泼冷水,批评,责备
He's afraid of his friends pouring cold water on his plan to open a store on the internet, so he doesn't tell them about it.
他害怕被泼冷水所以就没告诉朋友他要开网店的事。
④a cold fish冷漠无情的人
Daily Conversation日常会话
Sam:Why don't you speak with Jack
萨姆:你为什么不和杰克说话呢?
Jane:
I don't want to make friends with that kind of people. He's totally a cold fish.
简:我不想和那种人交朋友。他实在是个冷漠无情的人。
Sam:
Why do you say like that Maybe you have mistaken him.
萨姆:你为什么那样说?也许你误会他了。
Jane:I hope so.
简:我希望如此。
clock时钟,钟
Useful Phrases实用短语
①aganist the clock争分夺秒,抢时间
There is no time left, I must be against the clock.
没有时间了,我必须争分夺秒了。
②run out of the clock拖延时间
Now give me your decision and don’t run out of the clock.
现在告诉我你的决定,不要再拖延时间了。
③clock in (out)打卡上(下)班
The staff in this company must clock in (out)everyday.
这个公司的员工每天必须打卡上(下)班。
Daily Conversation日常会话
A:I can't adapt the high speed of the social life, we must be against the clock everyday.
我适应不了这么快节奏的社会生活,天天都要争分夺秒的。
B:But that is life. We have no choice.
那就是生活。我们没得选择。
A:Actually, I long for a pastoral life.
事实上,我渴望一种田园生活。
B:That sounds good.
听起来不错。
Notes:
1. long for渴望
2. pastoral [pa:st?r?l]田园的,乡村生活的,村野风情的
close闭,关闭,结束,终止,末尾
Useful Phrases实用短语
①close down(工厂等)关闭,停业,(电台)停止播音
Lacking of enough money, the factory had to close down.
由于缺乏资金,这个工厂被迫关闭了。
②close in包围,逼近,(白昼)变短
The troop was closed in by the enemy.
这个部队被敌人包围了。
③close the book on sth.放弃某事,半途而废
The young man has closed the book on his study.
这个年轻人已经放弃学业了。
Daily Conversation日常会话
A:Both your mom and I don't agree with your closing the book on study.
无论你妈还是我都不同意你放弃学业。
B:Come on. I have my own ideal.
得了吧。我有我自己的理想。
A:If you still insist on giving up your study, you won't be my son any more.
如果你仍坚持要放弃学业,你就不再是我的儿子。
B:You said it.
那可是你说的。
Notes:
1. insist on坚持,强调,坚决要求
2. give up放弃
come来,过来,到达,降临,出现,变成
Useful Phrases实用短语
①come about发生