书城外语日常286词玩转英语口语
14060800000012

第12章 E(2)

无论何时遇到困难,他都保持乐观。

Useful Phrases实用短语

Mike:

Life isn'ta bow of cherries so keep your end up . I believe everything will be better.

迈克:

生活并不总是一帆风顺的所以要保持乐观。我相信一切都会好的。

Jane:I know what you said but I just can't control my feeling.

简:我明白你说的道理但就是控制不了自己的情绪。

Mike:You must learn to forget it or you'll always be in sorrow.

迈克:你必须学会忘记,否则你将一直处在悲伤之中。

Jane:

Thanks for that you're my best friend or I don't know what will happen to me next.

简:多亏了你是我最好的朋友,否则我不知道接下来会发生什么在我身上。

Notes:

cherry ['t∫eri] n. 樱桃

even平坦的,平滑的,均匀的,平稳的,偶数的

Useful Phrases实用短语

①even as正当,恰好在什么时候

Even as he was about to leave, she came in.

正当他要离开时,她进来了。

②have an even change(of doing sth.)有一半的机会,正反各半的可能性

She has more than an even chance of leaving Beijing tomorrow.

她明天多半会离开北京。

③be/get even (with sb.)(向某人)报复,(跟某人)算账,摆平

Wait and see, I'll be even with you for this.

等着瞧吧,这事我会找你算账的。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:She had an even chance of going aboard for further study, but I heard she gave it up.

她有一半的出国进修的机会,但我听说她放弃了。

B:What a pity! Why did she make such a decision

真可惜!她为什么要做这样的决定啊?

A:Because she'd never left her mom since she was born.

因为自从她出生就没有离开过她的妈妈。

Notes:

1. go aboard出国,上船,乘船

2. give up放弃

3. make a decision做决定

evil恶毒的,邪恶的

Useful Phrases实用短语

①the evil one撒旦,恶魔

See the evil one is you!

真正邪恶的人是你。

②the evil hour/day/monment倒霉的时候(日子或时刻)

I'd better agree with you, otherwise I can't put off the evil hour any longer.

我还是答应你好了,这倒霉的时刻我再也拖不下去了。

③speak evil of sb.讲某人坏话

The most interesting thing for her is to speak evil of others.

对她来说最有趣的事情就是讲别人坏话了。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:If you want to speak evil of others just leave me alone. I don't like that kind of behavior.

如果你想说别人的坏话就离我远点。我不喜欢那样。

B:Come on. I just tell the truth.

得了吧。我只是陈述事实。

A:No matter what the others have done, you'd better understand it's not your business.

不论别人做了什么,你最好明白那不是你的事。

B:I can't handle you!

受不了你!

Notes:

1. leave sb. alone不干涉某人,不接近某人,把某人单独留下

2. It's not your business.不管你的事。

3. can't handle sb/sth受不了……

expense花费,代价,开支,经费

Useful Phrases实用短语

①at sb.'s expense由某人付费

There was a good deal of laughter at my expense.

我被大大地嘲笑了一番。

②at the expense of….以……为代价

To protect her child she even can do it at the expense of dignity.

为了保护她的孩子她甚至能放下自尊去做那件事。

③go to the expense of sth./of doing sth.把钱用在……上,花钱于

They went to all the expense of buying luxuries.

他们不惜一切代价去买奢侈品。

luxury[l?k∫?ri] n. 奢侈品,奢侈的享受,奢华

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:David got all the things he wanted-money, power and women at the expense of losing his family.

大卫得到了他想要的所有东西-金钱,权利和女人但却是以失去家人为代价的。

B:It deserves him right. No one could help him.

活该!没人能帮得了他。

A:In order to get all these things, he could do anything at any cost. But I heard he has regretted now.

为了得到那些东西,他可以不惜代价做任何事情。但是我听说他现在已经后悔了。

B:I think it's too late.

我觉得太晚了。

Notes:

1. it deserve sb right某人活该,某人应得的

2. at any cost不惜一切代价

eye眼睛,视力,鉴赏力,目光,看,眼状物

Useful Phrases实用短语

①catch sb.'s eye引起某人注意

The little child does his best to catch his mother's eyes.

这个小孩尽一切去引起他妈妈的注意。

②an eye for an eye (或eye for eye)以眼还眼(以牙还牙)

This is called an eye for an eye.

这就叫作以眼还眼。

③keep an eye open/out(for sb./sth.)注意,提防,警觉

Police have asked the residents to keep an eye out for anything suspicious.

警察要求居民注意一切可疑情况。

④easy as my eye易如反掌

⑤an apple in sb.'s eye掌上明珠,珍视的

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:The boy is spoiled by his grandparents. He's an apple in his granfather's eyes. Even his mom's words don't work on him.

这个小男孩被他的爷爷奶奶宠坏了. 他是爷爷的掌上明珠. 即使他妈妈的话他都听不进。

B:I don't think it's a good way for parents to educate their children like the boy's grandparents.

我认为像小男孩爷爷奶奶的教育方法对父母亲来说不是一种好的方法。

A:I can't agree more.

我再赞同不过了。

Notes:

work on影响,对……起作用,继续工作,使从事,设法说服