A:OK. See you.
好的,再见。
duck鸭,鸭肉
Useful Phrases实用短语
①sitting duck一个很容易受骗,或被打击的对象。
My friend Joe is a sitting duck for any phony offer that promises to make him rich in a hurry.
我的朋友乔伊对任何说是能让他很快发财的骗局都相信。
②water off a duck's back毫无作用
I keep telling my friend it's foolish to gamble all of his money, but it's like water off a duck's back. "
我一直告诉我的朋友,不要那么傻,把所有的钱都用在赌博上。可是,我的话对他全然不起作用。
③a dead duck被放弃或将失败的事物。
The plan is a dead duck, for there is no money.
计划告吹了,因为没有钱。
Daily Conversation日常会话
A:Jane's really a sitting duck, last month she made a boyfriend on the internet, she believed him so much. But now…….
简真是个容易受骗的人,上个月她在网上交了个男朋友,她是那么相信他。但是现在……
B:What happened to her
她怎么了?
A:She was cheated a lot of money, and the man disappeared last week.
她被骗走了很多钱,那个男的上周消失了。
B:Oh, my God. So bad the man is.
哦,天哪。那个男的太坏了。
dog狗,犬
Useful Phrases实用短语
①every dog has his day人人皆有得意日
Don't complain so much. Every dog has his day.
不要太抱怨了,每个人都有得意的日子。
②dog days三伏天,酷热的天气
When I was a child, my friends and I always went swimming in the river near my house in dog days.
小时候我总爱和朋友在三伏天到我家附近的河里游泳。
③love me,love my dogs爱屋及乌
Both my husband and I love watching TV. Although he doesn't like it at first. That's love me, love my dogs.
我和丈夫都喜欢看电视。尽管开始他并不喜欢。这就叫作爱屋及乌。
Daily Conversation日常会话
A:So hot the weather is! When the dog days will be over
天气真热啊!什么时候这样的三伏天才会结束啊?
B:It is said that the weather will be much cooler next week.
据说下周天气会凉快多了。
A:Wonderful!
太好了!
down向下,朝下,在下面
Useful Phrases实用短语
①be down to sb.是某人的责任,有某人负责
It's down to you to clean the house.
由你来负责打扫房间。
②down tools罢工,撂下工具
All the workers in this city decided to down their tools.
这个城市的所有工人都决定罢工。
③have a down on sb.瞧不起某人
The rich man has a down on the poor.
这个有钱人瞧不起穷人。
Daily Conversation日常会话
A:Look at that man over there. He's always have a down on the poor people.
看那边的那个男人,他总是瞧不起穷人。
B:So disgusting! He was poor two years ago.
真恶心!他两年前也是个穷人啊。
A:Yes, and many people around him had hepled him before, but he refused to help anyone who was poorer than him when he was rich.
是啊,许多人之前都帮助过他,但是当他富裕时却拒绝帮助任何比他穷的人。
Notes:
1. disgusting [dis'g?sti?] adj. 极糟的,令人不快的,令人厌恶的
2. refuse [ri'fju:z] v. 拒绝,回绝
drag拉,托,拽
Useful Phrases实用短语
①drag your feet故意拖拉,故意延迟
Sorry, I didn't want to drag your feet.
对不起,我不是故意拖延的。
②drag sth. out of sb.强迫某人说出
We dragged a confession out of him.
我们强迫他招了供。
confession [k?n'fe∫?n] n. 供词,供状,认罪,供认,坦白
③drag sth. out sth.把毫不相干的事插入谈论
There's no need to drag politices into everything.
没有必要什么事情都扯到政治。
Daily Conversation日常会话
Jane:
I'm so sorry, you know I don't intent to drag your feet. I'm just a layman for basketball.
简:
非常抱歉,你知道我不想拖你们的后腿的。但我对篮球确实不在行。
John:It doesen't matter. I'm also not a good player.
约翰:没关系,我打得也不好。
Jane:
At least you play it much better than I. Actually, I don't often play basketball.
简:至少你打的比我好多了。事实上,我不经常打篮球的。
John:
I love basketball very much, and I often play it with my friends.
约翰:我非常喜爱篮球,经常和朋友一块打。
Notes:
1. intent to do sth.打算做某事
2. layman [leim?n] n. 外行,门外汉,非专业人员
drop滴,滴状物,下落,滴剂
Useful Phrases实用短语
①drop sb. in it使……尴尬,使狼狈不堪
I don't want to talk about that thing, but you always drop me in it.
我不想提起那件事,但你总是让我很难堪。
②drop dead暴死,突然死去,猝死
The world top singer Michael Jackson dropped dead which made his fans mourn.
世界顶级歌手迈克尔·杰克逊突然死去让他的歌迷们很悲痛。
mourn [m?:n] v.(因失去……而)哀悼,忧伤
③drop off打盹,小睡
I dropped off and missed the end of the football match.
我打了个盹,错过了足球赛的结尾。
④at the drop of a hat立即,毫不迟疑
The company can't expect me to move my home at the drop of a hat.
公司不能指望我立即搬家。
Daily Conversation日常会话
A:Do you know you really dropped me in it at the birthday party
你知道吗?在生日会上你真的让我很尴尬。
B:I'm terrible sorry. If you haven't told me about it, I'll be still not aware of it. No wonder you're so angery.
非常抱歉。如果你不和我说我仍然没意识到。难怪你会那么生气了。
A:I know you're not on purpose, so I'll forgive you this time.
我知道你不是故意的,所以这次我原谅你。
B:Thank you so much.
非常感谢。
Notes:
be aware of意识到